Sunday, September 20, 2009

Blind Saumrai Race Report Vol 1 - Patriot's International Triathlon

What a great Patriot's weekend! Good beer, good race, more good beer. How can you beat that?

By the numbers:
Swim: 21:16 (2nd out of the water - more on that)
Bike: 1:07:xx
Run: 41:40 (6:45 per mile - I forgot my watch, so I had no idea on my pacing, just went for it)
Total: 2:15:xx (13th overall)

Now, if you like reading, sit back and enjoy.

Swim: 21:16 (2nd out of the water, 3rd swim overall - someone from a later wave smoked me!)
I bought a wetsuit the day before the race. What a difference it makes! I'm speechless. For everyone out there who does not own a wetsuit & has any ambition of improving swim times - GO BUY A WETSUIT. The swim was in the James River - brackish and not too cold. The James at this point is also tidal with a pretty strong current. I set my self up to left of the group and just took off that a solid pace at the gun. I immediately found myself with open water and no one to swim behind. Interesting. Never had this happen before. I passed the first bouy and still have clear water. Well, I knew I wasn't not off course, I could see the orange turn buoy far ahead, so I must be near the front. Made a quick pivot turn at that buoy (pulling out the old water polo skills is fun!). Right after the turn I felt a hand on my feet. Great! Someone's decided to take a ride. Oh well. I'm feeling pretty good, so I carry on. Make the second turn and start heading for home. Pick my head up to sight to shore line and see - glare - that's it - no shore, no buoy - just sunshine! Then I felt those hands on my feet again, I get concerned. I slowed up and took 2 breast strokes trying to find a point to aim for. That guy on my feet goes right by with a quick glance. I call over to him - "don't follow me, I'm lost!" Don't know if he heard me, but he took off. I finally sighted the right part of the shore after several course corrections. As I approach the shore I see my drafter (draftee?) get out of the water. He's about 1 minute ahead. After check the final results later, it turns out my draftee was probably Rudy - not 100% sure. Rudy - do recall going by some goofy dude who was looking lost? That was me. :)

Bike: 1:07:xx (22 mph)
My transition was super slow since I had never practiced getting out of my wetsuit. BTW - if you don't use Bodyglide, you end up with these nasty, painful, hicky-looking welts on your neck. Joanna is still skeptical of my wetsuit explanation. However, I believe the net benefit even with struggling was positive. Jumped on my bike and started pedaling. The goal was to maintain a pace of 22 mph. I only have my cheapo little speedometer, so that's was the target for better or worse. This Patriots bike course was gorgeous. Loved the scenery. However, someone has to explain to me how and out and back ride can but uphill and into the wind both ways! I just don't get it. Nevertheless, jumping off my bike at the end of the 40K ride, I was pleased with my pacing. But my legs were feeling pretty dead. I could tell this 10K would be an adventure. During the ride, I had counted roughly 10 athletes who had passed me - about what I expected. Hopefully I can pass some of them back on the run course.

Run: 41:40 (6:45 per mile)
My goal going into this race was to accomplish two things 1) average 22 mph on the bike and 2) throw down a sub 40 minute 10K. After getting off the bike, I felt pretty good that I had accomplished goal #1. But I could tell right away goal #2 was in big trouble. Legs were tight and heavy right from the get go. After just the first mile, I'm wondering how many folks I'll pass. Oh, I had also left my watch at home the day before, so I was flying totally blind. No idea what my pacing is, don't really care, just trying to hold on and finish strong. Beautiful run course, not too many hills. I got passed by a couple more guys and pass one guy. Clearly more work is needed - both bike and run.

Total: 2:15:xx (13th overall)
All in all very happy with my first ever International Distance Triathlon! Lots of fun! Lucky 13!

No comments:

Post a Comment