Friday, September 4, 2009

Bike Madness

So it begins. Somehow, I have been sucked into the world of TT bikes. How did it happen? Who knows. I heard someone ones explain that the only difference between men and boys is the cost of their toys. How true.

I find this particularly ironic for me since I spend a solid amount of time being skeptical of all the fancy, expensive gadgets and toys that one can accumulate in the name of trying to get faster. At the end of the day, I'm just another sucker who'll fall for a good marketing campaign. If nothing else, I am a self aware sucker.

My journey began about one week ago with a visit to Ebay. I suppose that is not the normal place to begin a search for a bike, but I never claimed to be normal. I've spent way too many hours trolling E-Bay listings and building a watch list. Right now, I'm just seeing what used bikes go for. The hypothesis being that you should be able to save a bunch of $$ by cutting a good deal on a used bike. Works for cars right? We'll see. I'm not convinced just yet.

The second thing I did was start to understand what new bikes cost and what drives this cost. To this end, I am building a spreadsheet summary of bikes that seem like possible candidates along with data on specs and costs so I see the side-by-side comparison. You would think this comparison would be straight forward. Alas no...

Soon, I'll be visiting the local bike shops to talk with folks and ride some bikes around. Should be fun!

Next step is of course to actu

No comments:

Post a Comment