Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Need for Speed

Terrible headline. I know, I know.

We ran on the track this morning. I met up with some folks from the Cville Triathlon group at the UVA track. This was the first time I had run an organized track workout since high school! It was fun. Nicole had planned at set of 6 x 1,000m with 3 minutes rest in between. I honestly didn't know what the heck I was doing. I showed up with no real plan for the day - I even forgot to bring my watch so I could check splits! What a goof!

The workout was pretty good, but I have a feeling a real coach would call it a failure. My 1K splits were: 3:37, 3:36, 3:38, 3:37, 3:28, 3:24. These felt very easy. I was feeling pretty stiff for the first three. Then during the second half my legs finally started to loosen up a bit and felt strong.

Should also say, I held back for most of these on purpose. Since I have no idea how my body is going to respond to running a little bit faster, I am paranoid of blowing a gasket. As I gain some experience with this, I'll be more comfortable challenging myself. For the next few weeks, as I layer in this type of work, I'll be loafing it just a little bit.

Definitely felt like a strange workout. I'm a little lost in all this stuff - don't know what types of pace I should be holding, not sure what the right rest interval is and don't know how these are supposed to feel. So, time to do some research and reading! My favorite - a new area to explore. This should be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment